Original air date: January 14, 2014
After the big reveal of Coulson’s Tahiti secret, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. wastes no time at all revealing another big secret this week. I chuckled a bit as Coulson sat in Lola talking with May about just being finished with all the secrets. We’re getting quite a few answers that I didn't think we’d get so quickly. Of course the answers bring up quite a few more questions but I have a feeling we’ll be seeing the pay offs for those before the season is up too.
Meanwhile, at the S.H.I.E.L.D. academy a freshman prank has gone too far, a boy named Seth almost loses his leg to a pool instantly frozen. Someone has built a freezing device and used it against fellow students. Some of the components of the device can be traced to FitzSimmons’ work, so half the team sets out to figure this out and to give the responsibility talk.
May tries to distract Coulson from his big secret reveal last week by taking him to Mexico City. She’s finally found a lead on Skye’s mysterious past. The agent who dropped Skye off at the orphanage was killed shortly thereafter, but her partner has been in hiding ever since. They track him down and get the truth, a very confusing and question inducing truth. When Skye was a baby a S.H.I.E.L.D. team was dispatched to bring in a 0-8-4 (an object of unknown origin). The 0-8-4, being Skye. An entire village and S.H.I.E.L.D. team were massacred trying to protect her. So for her protection she was put in the foster system with instructions to move her from family to family, never staying in once place for too long. Skye has yet to be revealed powers that someone very desperately wants to kill her for.
At the Academy we get to see the rockstar returning alumni, FitzSimmons. Fitz befriends one of the victims of one of the freeze attacks named Donnie. He’s brilliant and working on big things, but he doesn't really fit in with the rest of his fellow students. Fitz gives him some encouraging words and helps him solve his power source problem, inadvertently giving him the answer on how to finish his giant freeze device.
The freeze attacks on the students were staged by Donnie and Seth to draw Fitz back to campus so he could fix the power problem. Ian Quinn is of course behind the scenes pulling the strings and preying on the brilliant but young students at the Academy offering to buy their inventions.
Now that the team knows about the device, Quinn wants nothing to do with it, but that doesn't stop him from asking for a small demonstration of the device’s power. Donnie and Seth turn it on and inadvertently create a super storm. Seth tragically loses his life in the storm, leaving Donnie friendless once again. The storm actually very vaguely reminiscent of the strange super storm from the Misfits pilot. It even comes with huge sized hail, lightning strikes, and a surprise new ice power for Donnie. Now that is how a super villain is created right there.
Skye leans the truth of her past from Coulson, effectively turning her life upside down. Yet, she realizes that all this time it wasn't that she was family-less and unloved it was because S.H.I.E.L.D has been her protective family all along.
Favorite bits of the episode?
- FitzSimmons being rockstars on campus. Those cadets were just eating up their every word.
- Bucky Barnes reference! I am so excited for Captain America: Winter Solider y’all.
- The fact that a selfie was the thing to bring the covert secret agent out of hiding. Those selfies are powerful things.
- Ward: “It’s strategic.” Simmons: “It’s adorable.” Just the way the both turned on him with their “awww” faces when he sent Fitz to go check up on Donnie. Skimmons hanging out with Ward is on par with puppies and sunsets.
- The reversal of May talking Coulson’s ear off while he sits in silent thought.
- Even when someone is complimenting Fitz and he’s eating it up, he brings up Simmons. They call him the smartest person to come through the Academy and he’s flattered but he can’t take the praise because Simmons is smarter. I swear there needs to be some love declaring in the near future because FITZSIMMONS!
Ward is a big ‘ole softy with a marshmallow center. Be careful of where you’re pointing your selfies, you may out an off-the-grid super-secret covert agent by accident. There may come a day when Simmons and Skye don’t make fun of Fitz’s baby face, but that day is not today.